Based in the Dutch province of Zeeland, Kingfish Zeeland taps into the pristine marine estuary water of the Eastern Scheldt, a Natura 2000 nature reserve, to deliver a healthy, antibiotic-free premium delicacy: the Dutch Yellowtail (Seriola Lalandi / Pacific Yellowtail / Hiramasa / often used interchangeably with close cousin Hamachi).
Our Dutch Yellowtail is a high grade sashimi, a grilled or smoked classic, and a ‘Green Choice’ recommended by the Good Fish Foundation as an excellent sustainable alternative. Now available fresh from the Netherlands all year round, with daily deliveries across the EU.
The ONLY ASC & BAP certified source of Yellowtail/Kingfish/Hiramasa (Seriola Lalandi).
Sustainability and respect for our fish and the environment are key values at Kingfish Zeeland and form the basis for our design, operations and technology decisions. We go to great effort and expense to ensure that our operations are safe and healthy for our customers, stress-free and humane for our fish and have a minimum impact on the surrounding nature. Our sustainability measures include:
• No antibiotics, no vaccines: keeping our water pure produces happy healthy fish in optimal conditions without the need for antibiotics or vaccines.
• Green energy: we use 100% renewable energy - wind-powered, solar and biogas.
• Heat exchangers: to minimise energy use for heating, our warm outflow water transfers heat to our incoming water through a state of the art heat-exchange system custom designed for marine water use.
• Aquaponics: our outflow water is rich in nutrients before it is biologically purified in our internal water treatment systems to minimise our discharge. We also plan to maximise the use of our outflow as fertiliser for Salicornia crops and Algae production.
• Fresh water conservation: by using sea water, we don’t waste a precious and rare resource.
• Bio security: wastewater treatment with incorporated solids removal ensures the safe discharge of our outflow water. As an additional safety measure, the discharge of our hatchery and quarantine units is sterilised by powerful UV and ozone treatment, ensuring that our farm has no biological impact on its natural surroundings.
• Biodiversity protection: unlike traditional cage farming, our farm is based on land. Our output treatment system ensures that it is technically impossible for our fish to escape and mix with the natural surroundings. It is important to note that even if it was possible for the fish to escape, the natural sea temperature in Zeeland is too cold for the Dutch Yellowtail to survive.
• Animal welfare: based on the results of a 3 year independent research project focusing on animal welfare, permission was granted for the commercial production of the Dutch Yellowtail in Holland in 2012. Kingfish Zeeland continues to implement further improvements based on existing and new know-how, primarily out of respect for the fish itself as well as being part of our social responsibility. And from a commercial perspective, a happy fish performs better.
When capacity constraints force an established industry to embark on a paradigm shift, the resulting upheaval can be significant, challenging traditional production methods whilst providing unparalleled opportunities for innovative newcomers.
Our mission at Kingfish Zeeland is to be a leader in technology-driven aquaculture and establish our position as a market leader in the sustainable production of premium marine seafood.
Optimally located on the shores of the Eastern Scheldt estuary, with an active on-site R&D facility and advanced grow-out system design and construction, Kingfish Zeeland produces a high quality marine finfish species: the Dutch Yellowtail (Seriola Lalandi / Hiramasa / Pacific Yellowtail).
A Oost-Zeedijk 13
4485 PM Kats, the Netherlands
T +31 (0) 113 74 54 61